This is the kind of sandwich that parents and kids can both enjoy at home in the backyard or while in the great outdoors. Taking a great tasting Smoked Mac and Cheese recipe and turning it in to a sandwich. Doesn’t get much better than that.
Comment below with your favorite mac-n-cheese topping.
Get the printable recipe here: http://bit.ly/1SujPrS
Prep Time: 2 hours
Cook Time: 45 minutes
• 2 cups elbow macaroni
• 5 tablespoons butter
• 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 2 cups milk
• 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
• 4 oz process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
• 1 loaf of white bread
• Sliced cheddar cheese
1. Preheat smoker to 350 degrees.
2. Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile in a skillet or saucepan, melt 5 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Add 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese and process cheese, stirring until cheese is melted.
3. Transfer cooked macaroni to a greased Dutch oven or a casserole dish. Pour cheese sauce over macaroni and mix well. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese on top. Smoke uncovered on 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
4. When macaroni is done, cool to room temperature than refrigerate for 2 hours. When cool, slice into squares that will fit in between your bread.
5. Get 2 slices of bread, butter one side on each slice. Put a slice of bread, butter side down in square cast iron cooking iron. Place a slice of cheese, then a square of macaroni on top of bread. Stack slice of cheese on top of macaroni and another piece of buttered bread, buttered side up. Close cooking iron and cook over fire until bread is browned and cheese is melted.
Find more recipes at http://www.campchef.com/recipes